Thursday, October 29, 2015

DIY Sushi Costume

Every year Halloween comes along and I walk into the Halloween store and want to buy multiple costumes. The options are endless and I love them all.

Well not this year. This year I had the authority to plan Magic 98.3’s Halloween party, and I knew being the party planner I had to be different. 

So I pintrested and googled but quickly realized there is nothing online that someone HASN’T been. I wanted to walk in the room and know the chance of anyone having the same costume as me was slim to none.

And then it hit me, sushi. I mean the infamous picture all over instagram of the baby in the sushi roll is super cute... but I didn’t want to do that. Frankly I didn’t know how to, nor want to wear something that obnoxious. Therefore if I’m not a roll, the only other option would be a sashimi!

So since I got an abundance of awesome feedback about my costume I thought it would be nice to let everyone know this costume was completely DIY and here are the few easy steps:


 




1. At first my plan was to wear all white with a cardboard shrimp on my back but no, we have mothers for a reason. My came home with a mattress pad for my back and it couldn’t of been more perfect. I cut it into the shape I wanted and then all I had to do was paint it!

Room Essentials Comfy Foam Mattress Topper - $20 Target 

2. When picking out the color for the shrimp sashimi I felt it had to be a mix of pink and orange, sooooo I bought both and mixed them.


Orange Acrylic Paint - $.69 Michaels

Salmon Acrylic Paint - $.69 Michaels


3. Now I knew I wanted to make rolls for my hair so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought felt fabric. I bought four colors, Black, White, Green & Pink for $.99 each sheet. So it could symbolize my favorite roll... Tuna Avocado.

4. Hot glue and I became best friends for this part. I just rolled the fabric into the shapes I wanted and hot glued them together. 


5. After cutting them into shape, I then took dry rice and hot glued pieces all over the roll. 


6. I now had to hot glue the pieces onto a headband. The headband had to be thick, and by finding one with an opening it was perfect because I was able to put chopsticks through it. (I also added some flavorful wasabi and ginger to the side of them.)

Goody Ouchless Flex Headband - $5.29 Kmart


7. Now all I need was the outfit. I had a white skirt that I knew would go nicely but I decided to do a search during my weekly Amazon binge to see if they had anything I could wear ....and they did.

Well guess what, this awesome skirt ended up becoming the shirt I wore! 

Massa Women Printed Casual Mini Skirt - $11 Amazon

8. And lastly the SEAWEED. Which was just black satin ribbon with velcro!

So for anyone who wants to go as Sushi next year, there ya go! Of course I had my soy sauce with me at all times....


No comments:

Post a Comment